Fermentation Temperature Control: How Therma° helps breweries
Read on to learn how Therma’s remote temperature monitoring provides fermentation temperature control to help brewers maintain quality and consistency.
Within the Food and Beverage industry, few factors play a more critical role in a company’s success than temperature control. Whether it’s a global fast-food chain or a mom-and-pop restaurant, storing inventory in the proper conditions ensures quality, safety, and consistency.
This need to maintain ideal temperatures and humidity levels only double for brewers of wine, spirits, and beer—especially during fermentation. If the process occurs outside the correct temperature window, the resulting product will be flawed.
Fortunately, Therma’s IoT temperature monitoring devices can help brewers with fermentation temperature control.
Why Does Fermentation Temperature Control Matter?
Brewing is less of an art and more of a science, especially if you want to maintain consistent quality and taste across batches.
And while there are several stages a grain must go through to become alcohol, fermentation is where the magic happens. Fermentation is the process by which yeast transforms the glucose in wort—the liquid extracted from the mashing process—into ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide.
In this stage of the process, temperature is everything.
As an exothermic process, fermentation can generate significant levels of heat. That heat, however, needs to be controlled to protect the integrity of the taste and quality. This is due to a number of factors:
- Different yeasts have varied optimal fermentation temperature ranges.
- Too much heat in the early stages can accelerate the fermentation process, producing fusel alcohol and esters, which can negatively impact the flavor and aroma.
- Too much heat in the later stages can reduce alcohol yield.
- Too little heat causes the yeast to become sluggish or shut down entirely.
For brewers of all sizes—from micro-distilleries to national brands—the integrity of your products’ taste and aroma is a critical component to continued success.
It’s the goldilocks-conundrum. Your products can’t be too hot or too cold during fermentation.
They need to be just right.
How Therma Helps Brewers
Traditionally, brewers managed quality control and temperature monitoring via a combination of manual and technological processes. Ultimately, these come with two inescapable flaws:
- Manual processes rely on human integrity and vigilance while also using up valuable labor resources.
- Automated sensors are often cost-exorbitant, difficult to install, unreliable, and vulnerable to equipment failure or power outages. And when a failure does occur, it could take hours, if not days to find out—that’s a recipe for spoilage.
Therma is the modern solution to temperature control.
It’s a 24/7, IoT, wireless temperature and humidity monitoring sensor that can protect your inventory—in this case, your fermenting beverages—from the three main culprits for inconsistent temperature and humidity:
- Equipment failures
- Power outages
- Human error
Benefits of Therma
With Therma, you can stay in control and take the guesswork out of temperature monitoring throughout every phase of the brewing cycle. Simply place Therma’s sensors in your fermentation room to measure ambient temperature and humidity. Ensure the smooth taste of your lager by setting alerts when the room temperature rises above 36°. Alternatively, sleep easy knowing bottled beer stays between 50 and 55° to preserve it’s bold character.
Other benefits for brewers include:
- Around-the-clock monitoring – Therma operates on a 24/7 basis, continuously collecting data to ensure that your numbers are accurate and prevent product spoilage. Employees don’t need to spend time manually logging temperatures on fermentation processors.
- Smart alert system – Therma’s proprietary Smart Alert system lets you automatically adjust alert temperature thresholds to ensure that alerts are meaningful.
- Easy integration – Therma’s sensors connect with no wiring or drilling. Therma° automatically connects to a 4G hub via long-range radio with zero WiFi configuration needed.
- Actionable real-time notifications – Set and receive configurable alerts via SMS, email, or phone call. You can notify an individual or an entire team to ensure that the issue is immediately resolved and the batch of alcohol is saved.
- Premier data visibility – Access the Therma dashboard using any web-enabled device. See real-time data, detailed analytics, historical temperature data, and predictive equipment maintenance.
- Military-grade data security – Your data and IP needs constant protection from cyber threats. We use end-to-end encryption and multiple layers of NSA-approved protocols to ensure your data is always secure.
Fermentation Temperature Control Made Easy
Temperature is one of the most critical aspects of fermentation.
Too hot, and the yeast will be stressed, negatively affecting the taste and aroma. Too cold, and the yeast will grow sluggish, increasing fermentation time and creating an opportunity to grow contaminants like bacteria.
If you want to maintain a consistent taste, aroma, and quality across the board, then you must ensure that the brew stays at the ideal temperature threshold throughout every phase.
For that, there’s Therma.
Interested in working with Therma°?